Monday, April 28, 2014

Oil Painting: "Grace"

"Grace", Oil on Panel, 28" x 36"

The large, graceful flowers of a  magnolia tree are a welcoming sight after a long, northeast winter.  I captured the transparency of sunlight shining through the flower petals by applying layers of glazes.  These thin layers of paint allow light to bounce off of the layers beneath, creating a wonderful allusion of transparency and movement.  This painting just won an award at the "Academic Artists Association:  64th Annual National Exhibition of Contemporary Realism."  If you would like to purchase this painting click here.  In the meantime, I'm working on small studies that I will put on auction.  My first painting will be posted this week. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Susan Richardson said...

Just seen this in my facebook feed and just had to say WOW! Love the feelings this brings out!