Monday, September 8, 2014

Auction: " White Impatients"

"White Impatients", oil on Panel, 6" x 6"
Loose underpainting-beginning to add whites onto petals


This painting was done from life.  When working from life using flowers, one must work very quickly.  This is a great exercise for me since my training is classically oriented.  I actually enjoy working quickly with looser brushstrokes and less second guessing.  I'm forced to study my subject vigilantly and to really focus on the getting the underpainting right from the beginning.  My underpainting is done loosely with a raw umber wash. It helps me get the shapes right and to figure out the balance of lights and darks.  It also gives me a chace to change the composition slightly if needed -sometimes I need to fill spaces with an additional leaf, etc.  In this painting, I started with the whites of the flowers - adding them thickly to keep them clean and vibrant.   If you would like to bid on this painting, click here.

No comments: